Infield Circus Drill ~ A Lot Of Ground Balls In A Hurry!
This infield circus drill will provide all infielders with a substantial number of ground balls, at the same time keeping everyone moving.
Generating a lot of motion and excitement, it is designed to have fielders, during round one, throw the ball back to the coach on one hop. With younger players this can be a challenge; but can also be a great training tool. Being able to one hop a set location is a needed skill, this activity provides many repetitions to do so.
After round one, players put the ball in a bucket at their position. It also runs well if players use the buckets to hold baseballs, for all rounds.
- Infield with bases.
- Basket of baseballs at home plate.
- Players in their positions.
- Empty bucket at each position to collect baseballs.
- Four coaches with fungos at home plate. Looking for an activity that requires less fungo hitters? Take a look at the kansas city infield drill.
- Round One: 4 fungos, hit to 3B, SS, 2B, 1B. Fielders throw one hop back to fungo. (2 Min)
Rounds Two, Three And Four
- Round Two: 4 fungos, hit to 3B, SS, 2B, 1B. 3B throw over to 1B. First basemen rotate between taking the throw and fielding a ground ball.(2 Min)
- Round Three: 4 fungos, hit to 3B, SS, 2B, 1B. SS throw over to 1B. First basemen rotate as before. (2 Min)
- Round Four: 4 fungos, hit to 3B, SS, 2B, 1B. 2B throw over to 1B. First basemen rotate as before. (2 Min)
Rounds Five, Six And Seven
- Round Five: 2 fungos, 5-4-3 DP, and 3-6-3 DP. (2 Min) Fungos alternate and come from the coach who had been hitting to 3B and 1B. (2 Min)
- Round Six: 2 fungos, 6-4-3 DP, and 4-6-3 DP. (2 Min) Fungos alternate as in round five,and come from the coaches who had been hitting to SS and 2B.(2 Min)
- Round Seven: 4 fungos, slow rollers.(1 Min)
Infield Circus Drill Tips ~ From the Dugout
- We set our times for each round at two minutes. Works well with varsity players. Younger players would benefit from additional time to allow for more missed balls, errant throw backs to the fungo and the age factor. Always adjustable to your needs and situation.
- Before getting into this drill with younger players, it can be beneficial to work specifically on making an accurate, 1 hop catchable throw, from their infield positions to the plate.
- Once players are familiar with the format it quickly provides ground ball and DP pivot work efficiently.
If You're Not Practicing, Somebody Else Is, Somewhere, And He'll Be Ready To Take Your Job. ( Brooks Robinson)
return from infield circus drill to the ole ballgame.com