What Cleveland Indians pitcher struck out Joe DiMaggio three times in one game?
Mel Harder, Pitcher, Cleveland Indians, struck out Joe DiMaggio 3 times in one game in 1940
William asked: Can someone give the answer to this question?
Rick answered: William, thank you for your question!
Mel Harder is the pitcher you are looking for.
He was born Oct 15, 1909 and died Oct 20, 2002.
- Joe DiMaggio recalled he had more difficulty batting against Harder than just about any other pitcher, hitting only .180 lifetime against him, striking out 3 times in one game in 1940.
- His nickname was the chief and he played his entire career with the Cleveland Indians.
- He was the only Pitcher to work 10 or more All Star games without allowing an earned run.
- The only man in Major League history to have both 20 year playing and coaching careers.
- Only Walter Johnson and Ted Lyons pitched more seasons with one club.
- Only man to play 20 seasons for one franchise who is not an active player, in the Hall of Fame, or on the Hall of Fame ballot.
- Harder threw the first pitch ever thrown at Cleveland's Municipal Stadium in a 1932 game, and the last pitch there, as well, in ceremonies after the final game of the 1993 season, before the Indians moved to Jacobs Park.
Yours in baseball,