Baseball Drills-Infield; As The Season Progresses, Throws And Pivots Improve With The Additional Repetitions!
Baseball drills, infield is a minimal input, maximum rewards type of drill.
This drill works on:
- Double play lead throws and underhand flips.
- Shortstop and second baseman pivots.
- First baseman foot work at the bag.
Infield, Double Play Throws And Pivots
- 3 baseballs.
All four infielders.
- One each for the 3B, SS, 2B.
Double Play Throws And Pivots ~ The Drill
- The SS sets his ball on the ground, near second base, then exchanges 4, quick catch throws with the 3B, using the 3B's ball.
- At the same time, the 2B and 1B exchange 4, quick catch throws. This part they only do once.
- That accomplished, the 2B sets his ball on the ground near second base.
- 3B simulates catching a ground ball, and makes a double play feed to 2B, 2B makes pivot and throws to 1B. 1B throws ball back to 3B, as 2B sets up on his ball, underhand feeds SS, who completes the double play. 1B rolls ball back to 2B.
- SS comes back around, simulates fielding his ball and underhand feeds 2B, who completes double play. 1B throws ball back to SS, who sets it on the ground.
- That completes round one, the double play sequence starts over.
Baseball Drills Infield Tips ~ From the Dugout
- Have the second baseman and shortstop vary the spot they set their ball, thus creating different throwing angles and pivot possibilities.
- 3B field and throw from different spots also, for the same reason.
More Than A Practice Drill ~ Make It A Between Innings Game Routine
- Once you have taught this routine and players have used it in practice, it makes a great between innings warm up during games. You will notice an increased game focus level, as players have a definate plan to work on every inning.
- Your team looks and feels like they have a plan and know what they are doing. They do! That alone is a big confidence builder for them.
- This is only possible if players keep their gear together in the dugout, hustle out to their positions and bring out the gear for anyone left on base at innings end,A TEAM FUNCTION THAT IS A PART OF TEAM UNITY.
- All four players keep their gloves and the 3 balls together in the dugout.
- When the offensive inning ends, they grab their gloves and hustle out to their positions.
- As the season progresses, throws and pivots improve with the extra repetitions. Players have a definate plan to work on every time out, thus eliminating the talk sessions that can be focus killers, and the lazy throws that create bad habits.
Additional Drill Topics
return from baseball drills infield to the ole ballgame.com