when was the last time a world series was won in 4 stright game?
Michael asked: When was the last time a world series was won in 4 stright games?
Rick answered: Michael, thank you for your question.
The last time a World Series was won in four straight games, prior to last night, was 2007, when the Red Sox swept the Rockies.
Following is a chronological list of the 21 World Series sweeps, courtesy of Baseball Almanac.
- 1907 Chicago Cubs beat Detroit Tigers.
- 1914 Boston Braves beat Philadelphia Athletics.
- 1922 New York Giants beat New York Yankees.
- 1927 New York Yankees beat Pittsburg Pirates.
- 1928 New York Yankees beat St. Louis Cardinals.
- 1932 New York Yankees beat Chicago Cubs.
- 1938 New York Yankees beat Chicago Cubs.
- 1939 New York Yankees beat Cincinnati Reds.
- 1950 New York Yankees beat Philidelphia Phillies.
- 1954 New York Giants beat Cleveland Indians.
- 1963 LA Dodgers beat New York Yankees.
- 1966 Baltimore Orioles beat LA Dodgers.
- 1976 Cincinnati Reds beat New York Yankees.
- 1989 Oakland Athletics beat San Francisco Giants.
- 1990 Cincinnati Reds beat Oakland Athletics.
- 1998 New York Yankees beat San Diego Padres.
- 1999 New York Yankees beat Atlanta Braves.
- 2004 Bostom Red Sox beat St. Louis Cardinals.
- 2005 Chicago White sox beat Houston Astros.
- 2007 Boston Red Sox beat Colorado Rockies.
- 2012 San Francisco Giants beat Detroit Tigers.
There have been 21 world Series sweeps in history. The American League has won/swept thirteen, the National League has won/swept eight.
Yours in baseball,
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask The Baseball Coach.