Single Left Field ~ No Runners On
In this single left field, no runners on, each player has a specific assignment within the situation.
- P: Moves halfway between the mound and second base
- C: Follows runner towards 1B, as he would on a ground ball that isn't going through
- 1B: Comes down to the inside of first base, ready for a pickoff throw should the runner take too big a turn
- 2B: Covers second base
- SS: Cutoff between LF and 2B
- 3B: Moves closer to second base
- CF: Moves in and towards left field
- RF: Takes an angle between 2B and 1B to backup the throw
- LF: Catch ball, throw "through" the cutoff to 2B
Cutoff Tips ~ From the Dugout
- Players should understand the concept of "throwing through the cutoff". Sometimes they think that means throwing all the way to the base. It just means the throw needs to be head or chest high, so that the relay has an opportunity to cut it, if needed.
I Figure Practice Puts Your Brains In Your Muscles ( Sam Snead ~ PGA Golfer )
Single Cutoff Diagrams
return to the ole ballgame.com